What you do when you have a surplus of eggs (you know...after you've already boiled 2 dozen, made potato salad and sent a few cartons off with the kids for the neighbors and you STILL have a few dz in the fridge~and know you'll get another dz by the end of the day)
WHAT?? That doesn't happen to everyone?
Well, you can do it anyway, even with a dz 'regular' eggs :)
What you'll need...
At least a dz eggs, depending on your family, I use 2 dz eggs for 15 or so largish burritos.
Potatoes, cubed or shredded (or a bag of frozen hashbrowns...what I used, since I had 1/2 a bag in the freezer that I had to use up)
Ham, sausage, bacon, shredded roast or other leftover meat.
Green chile
Cheese
Salt, pepper, etc.
Cook your meat till no longer pink (or reheat your leftovers in the pan with a little oil or butter)
Add your potatoes or hashbrowns cook till crispy/browned
Add your eggs, mix and scrape so nothing sticks to the bottom till done. If you are freezing them, undercook them just a tiny bit.
Add green chile that has been peeled and chopped (And defrosted if you have a frozen stash like 90% of NM)
Turn off heat.
Add cheese. Shredded Chedder, Montery Jack, Muenster, or American are the faves here.
Heat your tortilla's on the burner till they bubble.
Add filling, roll tucking in ends, wrap in waxed paper, and store in bag in the freezer.

4 comments:
This makes me hungry! Do you know we have to bring canned green chiles in from the US? They are a frequently requested item because everyone misses using them in so many dishes.
I may have to use a can or two (not as good as fresh, but it's all we've got!) here and make up a batch of burritos today. :)
Hey girl. Is Cam your alias here in blogland? I've noticed all your posts end with "posted by Cam". Just a bit more confused!
Justine :o )
Hey Dina, quick update: I made breakfast burritos for dinner last night. They were so yummy that we had them again for breakfast today. I used a precious can of green chiles but it was worth it. I look forward to making them in the US when we can get our hands on some good sausage.
Thanks for the meal idea. I hadn't made breakfast burritos in ages!
Christine
I think I'll trying your breakfast burritos out! I had never thought to try hashbrowns in them before - YUMMER.
Post a Comment