Being that we are trying to get by on a pretty frugal grocery list, I went through my cupboards to use up some things that were just hanging out in there for way too long.
Yesterday afternoon, I decided to do up a batch of white beans (and a handful of pinto's that were left in a bag) in the crockpot. By late evening they were done, but I wasn't all that sure what to do with them...
I had a couple of chicken breasts left over in the fridge, so I added those chopped up, a can of tomatoes, an onion, spices, etc, and put it on low overnight and we had chicken chili for lunch today. The original plan was for dinner, but I don't think it would have lasted that long as the sides were already getting a little dark. It was served over rice, with tortilla strips, shredded cheese and sour cream (other than me.lol) The kids wanted hush puppies and carrot sticks (not shown, they were in a bowl on the table) Talk about a cheap menu. Iit was less than $5 for lunch with leftovers for tomorrow. Not bad for 10 people. :)
Since we had a pretty big lunch, its leftovers/grilled cheese for dinner.
The plan is to overturn the garden dirt today and try to get the chickens to get some of the grubs in there. I'll report back on that adventure. :)

No comments:
Post a Comment