Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Sunbutter Fudge

As most of you know, I have a daughter that is allergic to peanuts. We have all gotten used to not having any nut products here for the past 11 years and reading labels is a way of life.
Thats a good thing.

But every once in awhile, I just crave something peanutbuttery.

And in comes the Sunbutter.

Sunbutter is wonderful...It's basically just sunflower seed butter. YUM. The kids love it, and it's completely safe from cross-contamination, unlike cashew, tahini, etc. Even my non-allergic kids enjoy sunbutter and the only downside is that it's pretty expensive here...around $5 for an 16oz jar, and they can go through that in 1 lunch (of course, there are 8 sandwiches.lol)
I should order it in bulk from the company. Wonder if they have coupons?

But yesterday, skimming allrecipes looking for more exciting zucchini recipes, I came across peanut butter fudge. It sounded good.

Really good.

And I got to remembering the heartbroken faces walking thru Costco a few weeks ago when the fudge sample people were there and they couldn't get a yummy little microscopic taste and I had to hear about it the whole way home, even though I turned the radio way up to block out the commentary...
and then I started thinking...

Hmmm. Sunbutter fudge. Wonder if it would work?

Only one way to find out....

I grabbed the jar of sunbutter:


And we cheated and used an almost sinfully easy fudge recipe that involves nothing but real butter, a nut butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar, and mixed it all up. NO MARSHMALLOWS!!
Original recipe:

1 cup butter
1 cup nut butter, I bet any will do
heat in microwave till melted together and smooth. Mix well.
Heat for 2 more minutes
mix in half of a 2lb bag of powdered sugar and 1 tsp vanilla.
mix till starts to stiffen, spread in 8x8 pan and let cool/harden in fridge.
Cut into squares.

I was a little worried since it seemed REALLY oily (and sorta crumbly/odd texture), but we blotted it with a paper towel (and really, we're making fudge, calories are not the issue here)
and let it set in the fridge for awhile...

But after a few brave and hungry for sugar volunteer taste testers declared it was YUM, I decided to give it a try...

It WAS good, and actually tastes just like I remember peanut butter fudge tasting, but safe for my whole family.

Can't get any better than that!

In review, I think I would tweak the recipe a bit to allow for the extra oil in the sunbutter, and add a bit more powdered sugar and either drain the sunbutter a bit before mixing it up (it has the oil up topp to mix in) or mix it really really really good for a very long time.
It was a softer fudge, because of the extra oil issue, I'm guessing, and we'll try it again with some of the adjustments and see if that makes a difference. The flavor was awesome though and it will definately make it to the Christmas platter!!


Go try some.

Your taste buds will thank me.
(even if your waistline doesn't)

5 comments:

Connie Lawless said...

My daughter is deathly allergic to peanuts, nuts and seeds. We use soybutter, it is made from soybeans. I will try the fudge recipe tomorrow! It looks so yummy!

Justine said...

I have never heard of sun butter! How does something made from sunflower seeds taste like peanut butter? But that fudge really does look good! I love soft, gooey fudge!

Justine :o )

Dina said...

Oh, I hope you liked it!! Yep, we used Soynut butter for awhile, too, but changed to sunbutter when it became available being that soy and peanuts are both legumes to try to prevent too much exposure. :) LMK how it worked with the soy!

Justine, if you get a chance to try it...do. Lots of people prefer the taste to peanut butter, and it's really quite good!

Connie Lawless said...

I haven't had a chance to try the fudge. I doubt my daughter will eat it as we try to control soy expousure too. I do think the rest of the family will love it!

Nikki via The Scarlett Rose Garden said...

Hmm, I'm going to hafta try this too!

I hope your little ones are feeling better soon... poor babies!